News

White House readying Obamacare deadline extension

White House readying Obamacare deadline extension

HEALTHCARE HEADACHES: In a move that could help Democrats avoid a repeat of last autumn's public outcry over canceled health policies, administration officials are expected to announce the change within the next few days, according to the sources. Photo: Associated Press

By David Morgan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Obama administration will allow consumers to extend health insurance plans that fail to comply with President Barack Obama’s healthcare law beyond 2014, according to three people familiar with the matter.

In a move that could help Democrats avoid a repeat of last autumn’s public outcry over canceled health policies, administration officials are expected to announce the change within the next few days, according to the sources.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the administration has considered a number of alternatives and could opt to allow renewals of up to three years, which could postpone a new round of cancellations until after the 2016 presidential election.

The administration on Tuesday said it had nothing to announce.

But an official indicated that policy “final guidance” on the issue would come soon.

“The administration has committed to doing all we can to smooth the transition for hard-working Americans. We’ve taken steps already and are continuing to look at options,” said Joanne Peters, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

The possibility of a new administration directive was first reported by the congressional newspaper, The Hill.

Obama and his Democratic allies were rocked last autumn by a political uproar over millions of people who received cancellation notices from their insurers because their plans did not meet consumer safeguards, including minimum benefit requirements set by Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

The administration responded in November by saying it would not enforce the law’s provisions for those who received notices. That gave state insurance regulators, insurers and consumers the option to renew noncompliant plans for a year.

At the time, the administration said HHS said it would consider extending the option for Americans to renew old plans beyond this year.

“We will provide final guidance on this issue soon,” Peters said.

Insurance regulators in at least 23 states have allowed renewals to go through. Other states have required consumers to buy new policies that comply with the healthcare law.

The outcry over cancellations has become a top campaign issue for Republicans who hope to persuade voters that Obama’s healthcare law is bad for the nation and that Democrats should be punished at the ballot box for supporting it.

Without an extension, analysts say a new round of cancellation notices is likely to begin this October, just weeks before the poll.

But a longer extension would also exacerbate insurer concerns about the risk pool for new online health insurance marketplaces that have been set up in all 50 states under Obamacare.

More than 4 million people have signed up for coverage so far through the marketplaces. Open enrollment is scheduled to close March 31. The marketplaces need younger, healthier beneficiaries to compensate for the costlier prospect of insuring people who are older or sick.

Analysts believe the current extension has already encouraged large numbers of healthier people to remain outside the marketplaces.

(Reporting by David Morgan; Editing by Jan Paschal)

Recently Played

Recent Headlines

2 hours ago in Sports

Reigning NL batting champ banned 80 games for doping

marlinsdeeREUTERS

Dee Gordon of the Miami Marlins was suspended 80 games without pay after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, Major League Baseball said.

6 hours ago in Sports

Watch Richard Sherman pick up unsuspecting passengers

20-overlay-14

The Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl winner takes a side gig as a driver for Lyft.

6 hours ago in Sports

NFL: Raiders hope to move to Vegas

markdavisraiders16119669574354

Raiders owner Mark Davis says he wants to move the team to Las Vegas and is willing to spend a half billion dollars as part of a deal for a new stadium in the city.

7 hours ago in Sports

Rams take quarterback Goff with first pick of draft

15-overlay-9

Quarterbacks went one-two at Thursday's NFL Draft as the Los Angeles Rams took Jared Goff with the first pick, and the Philadelphia Eagles followed suit by naming signal caller Carson Wentz with the second choice.

7 hours ago in Sports

Touted Tunsil falls to Dolphins after controversial video

tunsil439022973758

Top NFL draft prospect Laremy Tunsil tumbled down the list on Thursday before being selected by the Miami Dolphins with the 13th pick of the first round following a controversial video posted on his Twitter account.