News

Trump’s border czar announces 700 immigration officers to immediately leave Minnesota

Trump’s border czar announces 700 immigration officers to immediately leave Minnesota

White House border czar Tom Homan holds a news conference at the Bishop Whipple Federal building on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson) Photo: Associated Press


By STEVE KARNOWSKI Associated Press
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Trump administration is reducing the number of immigration enforcement officers in Minnesota after state and local officials agreed to cooperate by turning over arrested immigrants, border czar Tom Homan said Wednesday.
About 700 of the roughly 3,000 federal officers deployed around Minnesota will be withdrawn, Homan said. The immigration operations have upended the Twin Cities and escalated protests, especially since the killing of protester Alex Pretti, the second fatal shooting by federal officers in Minneapolis.
“Given this increase in unprecedented collaboration, and as a result of the need for less public safety officers to do this work and a safer environment, I am announcing, effective immediately, we’ll draw down 700 people effective today — 700 law enforcement personnel,” Homan said during a news conference.
Homan said last week that federal officials could reduce the number of federal agents in Minnesota, but only if state and local officials cooperate. His comments came after President Donald Trump seemed to signal a willingness to ease tensions in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area.
Homan pushed for jails to alert ICE to inmates who could be deported, saying transferring such inmates to the agency is safer because it means fewer officers have to be out looking for people in the country illegally.
The White House has long blamed problems arresting criminal immigrants on places known as sanctuary jurisdictions, a term generally applied to state and local governments that limit law enforcement cooperation with the Department of Homeland Security.
When questioned, Homan said he thinks the ICE operation in Minnesota has been a success.
“Yeah, I just listed a bunch of people we took off the streets of the Twin Cities, so I think it’s very effective as far as public safety goes,” Homan said. “Was it a perfect operation? No. No. We created one unified chain of command to make sure everybody is on the same page. And make sure we follow the rules. I don’t think anybody, purposely, didn’t do something they should have done.”
___
Associated Press reporter Corey Williams in Detroit contributed.

Recent Headlines

4 hours ago in Sports

Kyrie Irving won’t play this season for the Mavericks as he continues recovery from knee injury

Kyrie Irving won't play this season as the star guard for the Dallas Mavericks continues his recovery from a knee injury sustained almost a year ago. The nine-time All-Star and the team made the announcement Wednesday, two days before the Mavericks return from the All-Star break.

4 hours ago in Entertainment

A movie that takes liberties with ‘Wuthering Heights’? Scholars are OK with that

If you're looking for someone to debate the new "Wuthering Heights" movie with, you might want to start with Lucasta Miller. She's a British author, editor and critic who has published an acclaimed study of the Brontë sisters and wrote the preface for the Penguin Classics edition of "Wuthering Heights."

10 hours ago in Entertainment

Logan Paul’s Pikachu Illustrator Pokémon card sells for record $16.5M at auction

Logan Paul has set a new world's record — for the auction price of a trading card. The wrestling and social media star's rare Pickachu Illustrator Pokémon card, a "Holy Grail" for collectors, sold for $16.5 million Monday at Goldin Auctions after 41 days of bidding.

10 hours ago in Entertainment

Actor Shia LaBeouf arrested after alleged fight during Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Actor Shia LaBeouf has been arrested after being accused of hitting two men early Tuesday morning during Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans, police said. LaBeouf was charged with two counts of simple battery, New Orleans police said in a statement.

10 hours ago in Entertainment

Late-night host Stephen Colbert isn’t backing down from public dispute with CBS bosses

Stephen Colbert isn't backing down in an extraordinary public dispute with his bosses at CBS over what he can air on his late-night talk show.